According to the Strib, Voter ID is just not needed…
…according to a survey of people who’d have to work harder if it were implemented…
…conducted by two groups that benefit from inflated vote counts.
Minnesota does not need a law requiring photo identification at the polls because there have been relatively few cases of ineligible voting, two advocacy groups said Monday.
Citing data collected from county attorneys from the 2008 election, the two groups said that there were 26 convictions statewide of felons voting illegally – a figure representing 0.0009 percent of voters that year.
It’s a figure that also represents investigations in Ramsey, and only Ramsey, County. The only county for which the Minnesota has done the County Attorneys’ jobs by doing all the investigating for them.
Allegations of felons voting represented 77 percent of voter fraud investigations, the groups said. The other 23 percent of the investigations from the 2008 election – which did not lead to any convictions – involved charges of non-citizens voting, double voting, voting outside of jurisdiction and impersonating a voter, the groups said.
Right. That’s because under Minnesota law, pleading ignorance of the law is enough to get you acquitted. Only paroled felons have to sign a form stating they know they’re not supposed to vote.
The study was conducted by Citizens for Election Integrity Minnesota and the Minnesota Unitarian Universalist Social Justice Alliance. The groups said the study was based on responses from 71 of the state’s 87 counties.
The “Center for Election Integrity of Minnesota“? Sure sounds like an important group!
The Strib doesn’t see fit to mention that “CEIMN” is an offshoot of “non-partisan” liberal pressure group “Common Cause MN” (check out CC of MN’s and CEIMN’s addresses), whose motto is “Holding Power Accountable”, and which spent the 2010 election demanding accountability of conservative groups while ignoring the rafts of liberal special interest money. They favor rationing speech to regular Americans, but exaggerating the influence of unions and liberal special interests.
One wonders if Strib reporter Mike Kaszuba didn’t feel this was relevant, or if he just didn’t know.