Greece appears to be on the brink of electing a far-left government which is promising its voters and end to the “austerity” that the incumbent center-right (by Greek standards; it’d still be to the left of the DFL) government imposed after the Greek economy, driven by decades of suffocating goverment spending that drove the government into crippling debt, crashed.
Greece currently has nearly 30% unemployment; it’s nearly 50% among younger people. And it was rescued from “worse” only by a massive bailout from the parts of Europe that work – mainly center-right Germany.
And now, their response seems to be to tell the Germans “screw you, give us more money”.
Here’s the piece from NPR’s “Marketplace”:
Listen to the Greek government “economic advisor”, Janos Milios (at around 4:42 on the audio):
Europe is a continent of democracy. When the people of one country decide to change course, change policy, this is something that has to be respected by all parties”.
Respected? If they’re paying their own bills and not surviving by pilfering the the wallets of the responsible countries, maybe.
This pretty much embodied the old criticism of democracy; “it can only survive until 51% of the people discover they can live off the other 49%”.
But the worst, most noxious quote is yet to come. Among the left’s most bilious conceits is that society is a “family” – with, naturally, government serving as a gender-neutral parent to keep all the unruly kids in line.
That was the line taken by Dimitrius Papadimitriotis, an Athens psychiatrist (at around 3:30):
We believe it has to be shared among our European partners. Being part of the “European Family” means taking care of each other, being there for each other. And this is what “family” is all about.
Government – least of all extranational associations of governments – is not a “family”.
And if it were, then it’d be time to take the snotty spendthrift teenager to the garage and have a word with her about nagging mom and dad to pay off her credit card debts.
If I were a German taxpayer, I’d be demanding my government cut the Greeks off completely.