UPDATES – hearing postponed. More at the bottom of the article.
At Valley View Middle School in Edina.
Why would the DFL-controlled House decide to hold its hearings
- 15 miles from the Capitol
- in an auditorium that seats far fewer people than the combined House hearing rooms can seat,
- to turn the location of the hearing itself into a propaganda point (even though school violence is down sharply in the last 25 years)
- to make it harder for citizens to participate (the capacity of the auditorium is far less than that of the various hearing rooms at the state capitol)
- to kill transparency; the existing hearing rooms allow the hearings to be broadcast, so the people statewide can see the DFL in all its skullduggerous pettifogging glory
- If you’re a gun owner who uses public transit? Unless you live within a mile or so of the school, it’s 2-3 transfers to get there.
- Worst of all, it creates a “felony trap” for law-abiding citizens wanting to attend the hearings
Oh, yeah – and it seems more than likely that the Edina school board is playing games, effectively barring just sent in groups from using public space in which to stage dissenting demonstrations.
This was always going to be one of those sessions where we need law-abiding gun owners to step up and show the weasels in the DFL who’s boss.
This time, more than most: the good guys are going to have to:
- Protest against the use of the public hearing process for propaganda purposes
- Protest against the useless and oppressive bills themselves.
In the meantime, the good guys need to melt down Rep. Mariani’s phone line (651-296-9714) and blow up his inbox (firstname.lastname@example.org) with respectful, thoughtful, considered messages indicating that the People of Minnesota would really like hearings to be about policy, not DFL propaganda.
Either way – whether the hearings are at the Capitol or at Valley View, if you could be rarin’ to go on Wednesday, let’s all make an evening of it, OK?
UPDATE: Since Valley View Middle School is in fact a school, carry is illegal under Minnesota law…
…unless you get permission from the Superintendent per Minnesota statute.
So send the Superintendent, and Valley View’s principal, a request to honor your permit. The template is right here. It should download an MS Word file. Change the return address and signature line to your own, and send it to the two officials (email address provided in the template).
Then share your responses in the comment section.
DIVERSITY ALERT: The school would seem to have been chosen to mirror the utter Caucasianity of Minnesota’s gun grabber cult:
UPDATE + BIG WIN! – The “hearing” has been postponed and will apparently be moved.
Where? Well, hopefully the Capitol. But we’ll see.
Anyway – the good guys won this skirmish; apparently Rep. Mariani’s inbox was already gushing smoke when he walked in this morning (yes, I made that up, but you gotta admit it’s a wonderful image, right?), and the Edina Schools got so many permission requests they’ve worn out the Control+V keys on several office keyboards.
Well done, Real Americans.
Get ready for the next go-’round.