You’ve been hearing it all over the place since it started sinking in among Democrats that their anointed candidate, Tom Barrett, was not going to pull off the win in Wisconsin last Tuesday – not even close.
Once the “Coin Toss” turned, for Dems in Wisconsin and nationwide, into a “Lunch Toss”, they – and their enablers in the mainstream, public and lefty media – started looking for excuses, for reasons that the ineluctable forces of history turned out to be very, very eluctable.
Among the first was the notion that Barret was outspent by 6:1.
It would sure make a reassuring story – “we didn’t get beat on ideas, we got beat by money”.
There are three answers to this meme:
Answer 1: It’s Just Not True - The problem is, according to that noted conservative tool the WaPo, it’s really more like 2:1:
Now, Walker out-fundraised Barrett in Wisconsin, as well as outside the state. But the part Dems never, ever tell you is that the Dems, as usual, outspent the GOP on independent expenditures by over $1.6 million
As everyone knew they would.
But they got outspent by the Walker campaign. Which brings us to the second point:
Answer 2: Boo Freaking Hoo - So the Democrats got outspent?
In a recall that they forced?
There is not one single person in the entire Wisconsin Democrat party that knew that there would be no campaign finance restrictions on the race? And that the GOP would call in every dog it could for this fight? That Reince Priebus wouldn’t run his rolodex red-hot to defend the win he earned back in 2010? And that the Tea Party wouldn’t absolutely slam the organizing?
Because there are only a few possible explanations:
- There was, in fact, nobody who knew . It’d seem to be a drastic mistake, forcing a recall without knowing the laws involved. Just saying.
- They knew, but figured that sheer Fleebagger passion would carry them through. It’s the kind of hubris that is explainable, if not necessarily excusable.
- They knew, but figured the GOP would screw it up. Not a bad assumtion, under normal circumstances. But the GOP – or at least the Tea Party-influenced part of it – is learning.
At any rate, it was the Wisconsin Democrats who asked for the recall. So they got outspent?
Sucks to be them!
Answer 3: Hypocrisy - So winning an election by spending lots of outside money is a bad thing?
Well, tell it to Mark Dayton, whose 8,000 vote margin of victory was paid for by…:
- An epic toxic smear campaign financed by Alita Messinger, a scionette of the Rockefeller family who dumps millions of her own money into Minnesota astroturf groups, which managed to convince just enough low-information voters that Tom Emmer had a DUI to cost him whatever…
- The DFL-friendly travesty of an election-registration system didn’t provide Dayton.
- Which, by the way, outspent Emmer and the GOP by at least 2:1. More like 3:1, if memory serves.
In Minnesota, you have truckloads of outside money financing outreach to dumb voters and creation of illegal voters to win elections for the DFL.
I’ll await your peals of outrage.