It’s come to my attention that there are Republicans flirting with a public “Racino” – a state run casino, intended to rack up tax money for the state.
There are so many reasons this is just plain wrong. I’ll give the Republicans the top ten. Any one of them should be good enough.
10. A new tax on the stupid is still a new tax. You were sent to Saint Paul to hold the line on taxes. That doesn’t mean “find reasons to rationalize them”.
9. Gambling has done such wonderful things for Nevada ‘s deficits, hasn’t it? Seriously. Panacaeas never works.
8. Ditto New Jersey. Sheesh. Gimme a break.
7. Guido Greaseaballa and his syndicate thank you. Don’t wanna pay up? F*** you!
6. Giving the state more money is like giving teenagers more booze.
5. Yeah, Biloxi, too. We can be a cold Gulf.
4. How does it help pass the budget? I’m sorry – the DFL says it all the time. Just thought I’d see how it felt.
3. Gambling addiction? No action on that bet! It harms Afro-Americans more…
2. We owe the Indians. We took this state from them. It’s only fair that we give them something in return. Best of all? It’s not “reparations”; it’s a free-market solutions. Everyone wins.
1. Mark Dayton wants you to support it. The state’s tribes have been solid DFL supporters for a generation- but that’s fading. Fast. It’s falling rapidly toward even. And Indian gaming has been a huge cash cow for the DFL for a couple decades now. If the GOP can be tied to a Racino, Dayton will veto it immediately, and claim credit with the tribes, turning the spigot back on into the DFL’s coffers.
So – it helps the DFL, and it hurts everyone else.
What’s to like?