Reading the President’s “sweeping” new “gun regulations”, it occurs to me – I was right.
The “war on guns” is one of this electoral season’s candidates for “war on women”; it’s an attempt to get Democrat, especially Black, voters, to come out for an election where there won’t be The First Black President Ever sending tingles up peoples’ legs, and vote for a geriatric white woman. If Obama, or any president, were serious about violence, he’d send the National Guard into Saint Louis, Baltimore, Oakland, Newark, Camden…
It is, like everything Obama has ever done, a lot of big talk combined with a few little nuggets of unconstitutional abuse of power.
With the help of our friends at the Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance, rather than read the bill, let’s just sort it out.
You’re Being Redundant, Again, All Over: Restating things that are currently law, including:
- Background checks
- Calling for enforcement of existing federal gun laws; Obama’s prosecutions are down 30% over Dubya’s.
- Ensuring dealers notify law enforcement if guns are stolen.
- Denying the mentally ill the right to keep and bear arms, with due process, (although the Administration seems to want to remove due process from this)
- Asking communities to keep guns out of the wrong hands. Paging Rahm Emanuel. And Eric Holder.
- Ensuring dealers have federal licenses, and have criminal penalties for not complying with the rules
- Watching for large numbers of sales, in conjunction with other factors. This already happens.
- Ensure criminal data is forwarded to the NICS database from the states completely and promptly.
Talk, Talk, Talk: Stuff the President can ask for, but needs Congressional approval and, most of all, funding:
- Funding for 200 new Keystone Kops. Er, ATF agents. Tomayto, tomahto.
- 500 million in mental health funding.
- Mining Social Security information for info about mental health.
- Funding for “Smart guns”. Good luck with that.
Peace And Joy Through Memos: Calls for sternly worded memos and announcements, including:
- Demanding the AGO write a letter to the states about coughing up mental health info
- Telling the AGO to write a memo about domestic violence
Even A Blind Squirrel Can Find A Nut: There are a few things buried in the proposal that aren’t actually stupid:
- Overhauling the background check system to make it open 24/7, and cut down on bottlenecks. This is especially important if Obama insists on constantly launching waves of panic-buying.
- Investigating illegal online trafficking in guns. Presumably excluding Eric Holder. But still.
- Defining responsibility for reporting thefts at the manufacturer/carrier/dealer level (might be good, provided it doesn’t merely serve as the basis for endless litigation)
- Help for the mentally-ill.
Have You Really Thought About This?: The President mentioons “removing the stigma” of mental illness – in the same metaphorical breath as he demands taking guns from people at slightest sign of it.
Would You Like Hobnails With Those Boots?: These are proposals that are completely unacceptable, and pretty much stupid to boot, including:
- If the President really is trying to put firearms trusts in the hands of politicized local cops, this will be a big problem.
- Denying guns to people whose finances are being a managed by Social Security, for no other reason.
You First, Barry: Things like:
- “Smart” guns”. I’ll use them, Mr. President, when your Secret Service detail does.
- Not to mention the police, to say nothing of the military. They won’t. Either will I.