“Nobody’s coming for your guns”, liberals like to coo in a parental, condescending tone when pro-civil-rights Americans point out the inevitable end goal of “gun safety” legislation.
The best response to any of this is forcing them to read Linda Slocum’s gun grab bill – House File 3022 – which in its own way is far worse and more draconian than anything the DFL proposed in their 2013 orgy of legislation after Sandy Hook.
The bill, if passed into law, would:
- Make all your private data public, if you’re a gun owner; your home address as well as all the details of your carry permit.
- Require Minnesotans to get licenses for their firearms from their local chief of police – effectively turning Minneapolis and Saint Paul (and Inver Grove Heights, Maplewood and Chaska, by the way) into Chicago or the District of Columbia. And we know how well limiting civilian guns has worked there, don’t we?
- Making owning a suppressor – which just became legal in 2015 – a felony offense.
- Confiscating guns if you’re late on a child support payment. That’s right – lose a job and fall a payment behind, have the cops swarming over your house on the command of your DFL-dues-paying local Child Support administrator.
- Ban all magazines over ten rounds. Yep – your classic Browining High Power is right out! And by right out, we mean “You have to destroy any magazines of over ten rounds that you might own”.
- Raising the legal age to own – not buy – firearms to 21. Say goodbye to your high school trap shooting team.
- And, inevitably, an ” Assault Weapons” ban – with, of course, the unstated proviso that “Assault Weapon” means whatever a regulator wants it to mean. It’s a provision that would have been too overreaching for a Soviet court to uphold. You can grandfather any weapons you own (sans magazines over 10 rounds), but will be prohibited from giving, buying or transferring them to anyone else in any way, shape or form. Got a couple of investment-grade pieces? Wanna hand a couple down to your kids? Sorry, citizen – you own’t even be “allowed” to move them out of state. You’ll have to destroy them oe hNS RHW. Tough rocks, citizen.
- Finally – along with the licensing (which is also registration) comes the obligation to allow the cops to inspect your home storage. Annually.
With this, the DFL has shown that they know who their enemy is.
It’s not street criminals or those who supply them guns – they’ll be unaffected by this bill.
It’s not even spree killers.
The DFL’s enemy is you, law-abiding gun owner.
Now, the GOP controls the Public Safety Committees in both chambers – so this bill will go nowhere.
But as Big Left pours money into the smear campaign against you, the law-abiding gun owner, they hope to change the electoral math in this state. Next year could easily see a Minnesota House and Governor’s ofice controlled by Democrats, and a Senate with a one vote GOP majority led by Paul Gazelka, who passed on a chance to go to the mattresses for you last year.
So if you’ve been sitting on your hands for the past few years because the goog guys have been beating the orcs back? Sleepy time is over.
Renew your NRA membership. Don’t like Wayne LaPierre’s public persona? Either do I. . Hold your nose and do it anyway.
Renew – or start – your membership with the MN Gun Owners Caucus. And pony up a few extra bucks. (And tell your gun owning friends to join the MNGOC, and not “Minnesota Gun Rights”. The group appears to be a fund-raising charade that doesn’t actually spend any significant time or money moving the needle in Minnesota. I think they’re frauds and I’ll tell them to their face.
And hold some PTO time aside. We’re going to need to pack some hearing rooms. Gone are the days when the good guys would outnumber the orcs 30-1; all that Bloomberg money means professional “community organizers”, which means lots of warm, dumb bodies in orange t-shirts coming out to events.
When it comes to defending your second amendment rights, the only easy day was yesterday.