As this is written, the MNGOP Executive Committee is scheduled to meet on Sunday night. The Lazzaro Fiasco is forcing action.
The following needs to happen, while events are still even partly in the Executive Committee’s control:
- Chairwoman Carnahan needs to resign.
- If she doesn’t, the Executive Committee (henceforth EC) needs to put her on leave.
- The EC needs to commission an independent financial audit.
- All “Nondisclosure Aghreements” (NDAs) with former staffers need to be voided; NDAs don’t cover illegal activities.
- The list of those NDAs needs to be made public. The considerations – reportedly $10,000, in some cases, of GOP money – need to be publicized, as part of the audit.
The EC, in short, needs to rip out the rot, fraud and corruption by the root, while it still can.
Because if they don’t, the following will happen:
- The GOP will get slaughtered in the statewide races in 2022. It may happen anyway, but if the repairs don’t start immediately, it’s not even debateable.
- Even though Legislative races are the job of the House and Senate GOP committees and the local units of the party, the general public doesn’t know this. Hell, I barely knew it until probably 10-12 years ago. As of two weeks ago, people were expressing some confidence about taking the House back from the scandal-ridden DFL. If this isn’t fixed, stat, that is out the door.
Will the EC act?
Please tell us the EC is smarter than the Judicial Nomination Committee.
Anyway – fix this.
While you can.