So according to the UK Guardian, the City of Chicago runs its own private Lyubyanka:
The facility, a nondescript warehouse on Chicago’s west side known as Homan Square, has long been the scene of secretive work by special police units. Interviews with local attorneys and one protester who spent the better part of a day shackled in Homan Square describe operations that deny access to basic constitutional rights.
Alleged police practices at Homan Square, according to those familiar with the facility who spoke out to the Guardian after its investigation into Chicago police abuse, include:
- Keeping arrestees out of official booking databases.
- Beating by police, resulting in head wounds.
- Shackling for prolonged periods.
- Denying attorneys access to the “secure” facility.
- Holding people without legal counsel for between 12 and 24 hours, including people as young as 15.
At least one man was found unresponsive in a Homan Square “interview room” and later pronounced dead.
If it’s confirmed that the Chicago Police have been pelting the Fourth Amendment with rocks and offal – then :
- It’s time to send US troops to liberate Chicago, and
- it makes perfect sense that it’s in a Democrat-controlled city.
Much as I love Chicago, I won’t spend another tourist dollar there until those responsible for Homan Square are frog-walked out of their offices and put into Federal custody.
And it’ll be interesting to see what other such places pop up around the country.
TANGENT: I’m gonna start the countdown clock for someone comparing Homan Square with the “black sites” run by the CIA and foreign countries. It’s a lousy comparison (notwithstanding the fact I didn’t support them, either), but let’s burn that bridge when we come to it, shall we?