So the MOB party was last night. It was the first one we’ve done in about 18 months. I expected sort of a “rebuilding season” kinda vibe to the party, with maybe 40-odd people showing up.
I counted a total fo a little over 70 over the course of the evening, with probably a little over fifty in the room at one time at the party’s peak.
Being the peripatetic sort (and having heard once upon a time it’s a good host’s job to make sure everyone meets everyone else), I did my best to actually try to meet, if not have a meaningful conversation, with everyone there, just to get an idea of how showed up, and from where.
My attempts to get everyone are usually laughably incomplete, but here goes:
- Lileks, of course, with the Giant Swede and a significant-looking other.
- Bob Davis of KSTP-AM
- Laura and David Hemler, fans, activists, and longtime friends of the NARN
- Joel Rosenberg and Felicia Herman
- Gary M. Miller, Jeff Kouba and (I believe) Paul from Truth Vs. The Machine
- Casey, an intern reporter from The Daily Planet
- Jeff Rosenberg of the
Daily LiberalMN Publius
- Mini-Flash 2.0 – Flash’s (Centrisity) doppleganger.
- Tom “Swiftee” Swift
- Jordan Mason – formerly of the Taxpayers League – and lucky guy Mark Wernimont.
- The entire Night Writer clan; John “Night Writer” Stewart, the Reverend Mother, Mall Diva, Tiger Lily and Uncle Ben.
- Mr. D – of blog and comment section fame.
- Former MOB Mayor Andy “Andee Applecowskee” Aplikowski and Carrie (bka “Spurringirl”).
- Enge and his daughter
- Doug “Crossword Bebop” Bass and at least one of his kids
- Half of the McCollow/Pivec/Hubble clan; Katie (formerly of Yucky Salad with Bones) and husband Mike, sister MLP (from Casual Sundays) and – !!! – husband Jay Pivec, who was my college’s basketball coach back in 1984, whom I’d not seen in 25 years, who is the head coach at Minneapolis Community Technical College, and who earlier that every evening had won the game that’d send MCTC to nationals, along with the youngest sister and Katie’s twin/friend (whose names both elude me yet again).
- King Banaian and Janet B of SCSU Scholars, and King’s friend Ken Doyle.
- A couple of NARN2 Webstream viewers, including Wendy “Tolowen” and a couple others whose names have dodged me.
- Comment section regular Just Plain Angry
- Jamie Delton of Delton Digest and his friend, er, Shawn/Sean (sp?)
- Marty Andrade
- John “Policy Guy” LaPlante
- David Strom and Margaret Martin
- Duke Powell, former Burnsville state rep and new blogger at Ambulancedriver.com, who had to leave early to, well, drive an ambulance.
- Matt Abe of North Star Liberty
- Chief, Guy and Lassie from Freedom Dogs
- Fresch Fisch
- Joe “Learned Foot” Tucci from Kool Aid Report
- Leo Pusateri of “Psychmeister’s Ice Palace” and, er, Mrs. Pusateri
- Marty Stanchfield, promotions whiz, with the hit of the evening, the Obama spinny-head doll (Thanks, Marty!)
- Kevin Ecker
- Chris from Rocket’s Red Glare
- Barry Hickethier
- the Other Chris, from BuddhaPatriot
- And of course, Mayor Johnny Roosh and the first lady, Mrs. Roosh!
- Commenter Jim C.
I apologize to anyone I missed; I did my best to reconstruct the list from pure, overtaxed memory.
Special thanks to Terry and Virginia Keegan,who made room for the party after I, ahem, neglected to tell them we’d be descending on them (and thanks to Barry for tipping them off last week, averting disaster…)
We’ll do another one this summer, likely at a more spacious location (details being arranged).
And the long-joked-about MOB Day at the Range – wherein a MOB party would start at a firing range and move to a bar of some sort (in that order and no other), long spoke of tongue-in-cheek, actually has a better-than-even chance of happening this year. Stay tuned.
UPDATE: D’oh. And Eric Black from the MinnPost.
Was disappointed to see the MinnPost’s David Brauer didn’t show up to recreate his ambulance scene with Duke. Also hoping some of the MPR crowd can make it next time!
UPDATE 2: Yep, Brad and Jen Carlson were there, too. I reconstructed the list by who I saw sitting where; the Carlsons’ table had all sorts of people who were harder for me to remember, so I mentally kept going “I’ll get back to them!” every time I typed out names from that table. But I didn’t. Until now, I mean…